Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Walk in Beauty

Currently In:  Phoenix, AZ
Going to Lake Havasu this week

We have spent most of this past week re supplying, fixing the rig, and relaxing.  Because the weather was so hot yesterday, we actually went to an afternoon movie to beat the heat!
But onn Friday we took the opportunity to drive up to Flagstaff and hike the Inner Basin Trail in the Coconino National Forest.
It was 87 degrees in Phoenix and 62 degrees in Flagstaff, just 90 minutes north but 6,000 feet above seas level higher.

I read a Navajo Blessingway at the start of the hike.  The sun was reflecting on the sign so I couldn't get a good photo, but here it is:

          I walk with beauty before me.  I walk with beauty behind me.
          I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me.
          I walk with beauty around me.

 We started out at 8400 feet and hiked through a forest of ponderosa, limber and white pine.  It's been a while since we have done a hike in the woods!
We crossed a couple of dry creeks.
Lots of aspen leaves had fallen already.
Naturally, my favorite part was the aspen grove in Autumn .
When we got to the end of the trail, we found a stone structure that houses a water main that collects water from several Inner Basin springs.  The spring water is used by Flagstaff primarily in the summer.
We found snow at 9600 feet! We think it is left from the snowstorm that we drove through last week.
By the way, the green shed is a pump house for the spring water.
We saw this sign at the top, too.
So I got this shot of the snow covered San Francisco Peaks on the way down. I think this one may be Humphreys.



No comments:

Post a Comment