Thursday, November 15, 2018

Rock Scramble

Currently In: Yuma, AZ
Next Up: Phoenix


We were excited to get back on a hiking trail!  So we picked the Palm Canyon Trail located half way between Quartzite and Yuma.

On the way we took a small detour and stopped at the McPhaul's Bridge, otherwise known as The Bridge to Nowhere.
The 800' suspension bridge was built in 1929 over the Gila River in 1929.  When a new dam was built in 1968, the river was re routed and  a new bridge was built making this one obsolete.  Some think the Golden Gate Bridge was modeled after tho one.
We finally made it to the trail in the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge.  The trail is only a half mile, was fairly easy and quite pretty.
Although we saw all the regular desert plants (ocotillo, palo verde) I was taken with this red spined barrel cactus we saw on the way.
Once toward the top, we turned around and looked out on the Castle Dome
Plains and the Chocolate Mountains in the background.  We came in on that road that winds through the Refuge.
We made it to the viewing point.
It was fantastic!  These are California Fan Palms, the only palm trees native to Arizona.  I can't get over that they grow in a canyon.



















The other side of the canyon was cool, too.  I liked the caves in the side of the rock.
Now to actually get to the palm trees you have to do a rock scramble and then a short hike.  Anyone who knows me understands that I do NOT like heights.  But I really wanted to touch these palms.  So I braved it.  Johnny was suffering from a knee issue, so was official photographer.  You can see my pink jacket in the middle of the scramble.
The rocks - up close.
I made it to the top of the scramble!
There were young trees growing out of the side of the rock.
Full confession here - I did not climb all the way to the taller palms in the middle of the canyon.  But I did touch one that was growing in a lower section.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment